The Intellectual Property department is organized within the Innovation Center group of the Stamicarbon organization, the Business Development group and IP center for the Maire Tecnimont Group. The Innovation Center is responsible for evaluating new ideas and developing them and bringing them to market as new innovative products and processes using the Innovation Pipe Line System. The IP department is responsible for protecting Stamicarbon’s innovations, in particular by creating registered IP such as patents.
We are looking for a Patent Attorney/Trainee Patent attorney
You are part of the internal IP team of Stamicarbon and responsible for interacting with internal and external clients to answer all their IP questions. Your main tasks will be the harvesting and protection of new inventions as well as, in cooperation with outside counsel, ensuring the drafting, filing and prosecution up to the grant of a patent. You will also contribute to formulating the IP strategy and in particular the patent strategy for new innovation projects.
In the course of the above you will also be carrying out various Intellectual Property searches such as novelty, Freedom of Operation, invalidity, and opposition searches using various specialized patent and non-patent databases.
If you are not already a qualified European Patent attorney you are willing to be trained to become one.
- Assist colleagues regarding patent issues
- Invention harvesting (interaction with inventors): Assist Research & Technology colleagues in identifying potentially patentable inventions
- Make in depth study of the technology in order to understand the invention
- Patentability Search: Define scope of search based on preliminary definition of invention in communication with inventors. Perform the search by searching in databases, exploring and analyzing relevant literature; and judging based on search report the patentability of potential inventions and if necessary redefine the invention
- Understand how to delimit the invention to distinguish from the prior art (see Patentability Search)
- Prepare draft claims and outline of the invention for outside counsel based on definition of invention in light of the prior art
- Help inventors (and R&D) with every aspect of the patent process. Support inventors to prepare invention disclosures. Learn about the invention, then research other similar inventions and discuss the concept with other inventors to determine if there is any similarity to another invention that might prevent a patent from being issued
- Interact with inventor/outside counsel to finalize draft patent application
- During prosecution of patent application interact with inventors, business and outside counsel to ensure best available protection
- Perform Freedom to Operate searches and provide guidance to internal clients regarding Freedom to Operate. When qualified as a European Patent attorney provide Freedom to Operate opinion.
- Technical Master Degree in science or engineering and strong legal component
- Pro-activity and a thorough technical background combined with strong analytical skills and well developed sense for details and priorities are key competences
- Preferably knowledge of and experience with one or more of Stamicarbon’s technologies, such as urea melt process, fluid bed granulation process, emission abatement technologies, nitric acid technology and ammonia technology
- Qualified European Patent attorney or affinity and experience with intellectual property and willingness to train to become a European Patent attorney
- Understanding of Patent IP administrative processes in general, including formalities concerned with National, International and Regional filings including European Grant Procedure Patent laws
- Excellent communication skills
- An excellent command of the English language is essential
Stamicarbon offers a rewarding and challenging job with opportunities for personal input. The organization is 100% internationally focused, has the ambition to expand and offers individual possibilities to learn and develop in a true business environment. Our recruitment process in online based, please only apply via our website: www.stamicarbon.com/vacancies